Sunday 17 January 2010

Slum Living - Dharavi and Kibera

Kevin McCloud: Slumming It - Grand Designs in Mumbai



It was with great interest that I watched Kevin McCloud's most recent program on one of Mumbai's slums. Having spent some time in Kibera, one of the largest slums in Africa, I was intrigued to see what he would make of the situation there.

Kibera, although slightly different to Dharavi, shares many of the same qualities. The poverty, the poor sanitation and disease and the crowded living conditions. However, it also shares an amazing sense of community and a support for one another that is so often not seen in this country. The overriding feeling I always had in Kibera was one of great hope and so I was pleased to see that Kevin was able to see the positive aspects of slum living.

If you haven't seen Kevin's program then you can still watch it at


If you want to see some of my photographs of Kibera then check out my Kibera portfolio on my website

No comments:

Post a Comment